Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer


I have been putting off writing a review for Sunset Rubdown's Dragonslayer for a multitude of reasons.
  1. As soon as I finish writing this review I will feel like the "newness" experience of the album is over
  2. Sunset Rubdown offerings take a while to digest
  3. I made up my mind 5 minutes ago whether I like this album more than SR's last offering Random Spirit Lover (RSL)
  4. I find it odd that I hate writing reviews for my favorite band
I don't like reviews that compare a new album to prior works from the group but I will be guilty of that here with Sunset Rubdown. The reason I am going to compare Random Spirit Lover to Dragonslayer is because RSL has become and will stay my favorite album of all time. I have to get this out of the way because RSL was virtually flawless as far as I am concerned and it changed my life as far as music is concerned. So my opinions may be biased and filled with nostalgia but I feel the need to preface my opinions on Dragonslayer by letting you know where I stand with Sunset Rubdown.

That being said, Dragonslayer is absolutely stunning and a force to behold. The live feel to the album lends well to the greater use of percussion and how the songs are structured. Chief songwriter Spencer Krug has hit his stride and is most certainly at the peak of his craft. The entire band has matured and hit their stride too as Camilla's vocals are prominante and awesome, Michael's guitar work is phonomenal and Jordan's guitar and drum work makes the kid a prodigy. We knew about these guys/gal from the beginning but Mark Nicol's adition to the band has taken their live show and put it on steriods with his percussion and ability to play bass.

On to the recordeding of Dragonslayer... Songs like "Silver Moons", "Apollo and the Buffalo and Anna Anna Anna Oh!", "You Go On Ahead (Trumpet, Trumpet II)" and "Dragonslayer" all command your ears, your respect and some good old fashion goose bumps. Dragonslayers' sound is an evolution from RSL but the lyrics and themes seem to be an extension of the worlds created by Krug in both Shut Up I am Dreaming and RSL. In fact, Krug refrences back to prior songs such as "The Men are Called Horsemen There" off of Shut Up I am Dreaming when he sings "If I was a horse I would throw up the reigns if I was you" and in "Idiot Heart" Krug refrences "For The Pier (And Dead Shimmering)" off of RSL when he sings, "we can watch them change shape without pushing off the pier." Krug's fellow Swan Lake bandmate Dan Bejar utilizes this trick fairly often in his band Destoyer and Krug pulls it off here without leaving the listener feel cheapened that Krug has borrowed from himself. Everything on Dragonslayer is in its right place whether it is new or a flavor from the past but rest assured Spencer Krug has it where it needs to be and I will defer to his genius any given day.

I could write an essay regarding the album but the main point is to get people to listen to the greatness that is Sunset Rubdown. If you are not familiar with Sunset Rubdown I think Dragonslayer is the best possible way to indoctrinate yourself. The songs of the album are all a little more accesible than the RSL offerings as they are very melodic, guitar friendly and plain rockin'. RSL is more of a concept album that blends together conveying an experience as a whole. Regardless of what I write here you should own every Sunset Rubdown album and give them the listens they deserve. Which album I like better is really irrelevant as it iwould be the equivalent of making me pick which of my children I love more. All in all, there will be nothing that comes out for this rest of the year that challenges this as The Album of 2009. Period. -(10/10)

Sunset Rubdown - "Silver Moons"
Sunset Rubdown - "You Go On Ahead (Trumpet, Trumpet II)"

2 comments:

speener said...

Going to download it in the morning. It's on emusic. I'll have to let you know what I think.

Kelly said...

Please do Spencer. Be sure to give Sunset Rubdown some time though. They can be somewhat of an acquired taste. Kind of like the first time I tried beer and didn't like the taste and now there is not a beer I don't like. ;)