Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sunset Rubdown - Mohawk's (Austin, TX) 6/20/2009


It all begin with the idea of making a road trip from Fort Worth, TX to Houston and then on to Austin, TX to see Sunset Rubdown play twice. Unfortunately, only half of this well laid plan came true. I had bought tickets for both shows early this past week, but illness reared its ugly head as I came down with some sort of respiratory infection on Tuesday night. Granted, I think I could have still made it to the show in Houston on Friday night but my cousin that I would have stayed with has a 2 month old baby so I wasn't about to put her at risk for my own sake.

Austin graced us with a lovely 90 degree night and yes the venue was an outdoor one. Spencer remarked, "So you guys are used to this? I guess I am just not as strong as you guys are." Well, I have lived in Texas my whole life and it was fucking hot. Spencer and the gang trugged along and were in good spirits and seemed to really appreciate the crowd. This was great to see as the band was less than impressed by the Dallas fans when I saw them last fall.

Onto the show. One word: AMAZING! We all know that Sunset Rubdown is the best band in the world and their live show is only getting better (3rd time I have seen them). Spencer's songwriting is stronger than ever but the percussion is taking these songs to a whole new level live. I made it to the venue in the middle of the Elfin Saddle set but there must have been some early issues as Sunset Rubdown was rushing through their set. They seemed to be trying to get everything in before midnight because there are condos across the street and it must be city ordinance (damnit!). Spencer was apologetic and cool about it so I guess we should let it slide. The surprise in the show was the coolest version of "The Empty Threats Of Little Lord" I have ever heard. The set list was a heavy dose of Dragonslayer and I remember thinking the only thing that would have made the night any better would have been "Stadiums and Shrines II" and "Apollo and the Buffalo and Anna Anna Anna Oh!" I wasn't expecting to hear "Stadiums" as I had read a prior setlist Bill posted over at Vague Space but I am guessing "Apollo" got axed due to the time issue as previously stated. Awesome night nonetheless and worth every minute in the car.

Setlist:
  1. The Empty Threats of Little Lord
  2. Idiot Heart
  3. Black Swan
  4. The Taming of the Hands that Came Back to Life
  5. Silver Moons
  6. Coming to At Dawn
  7. You Go On Ahead (Trumpet Trumpet II)
  8. Mending of the Gown
  9. Winged/Wicked Things
  10. Dragonslayer
  11. Nightingale/December song
My clip of "The Taming of the Hands that Came Back to Life." The best 1:14 you will ever see live!




2 comments:

Bill said...

Great clip, Kelly! Perfect song to record, too. Sorry they had to rush through the set -- did they not come out for an encore? At least you did get to see Little Lord, which they didn't play in Philly, so that's awesome. I saw them play Stadiums last year (incredible!), but yeah, this tour they stuck mostly to Dragonslayer stuff.

Glad you had a good time and hope you're feeling better.

Kelly said...

Thanks Bill, I am definitely feeling better now. They didn't come out for an encore and they mentioned that they were under time constraints from the beginning. But they made up for it with pretty much non-stop playing. The 2 SR shows I saw previously closed with "Stadiums" and it is one of my favorite songs as it was the first SR song I ever heard and left me wanting more. Plus the song plain fucking rocks!