Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Stars - In Our Bedroom After the War


The ending of the year finds me scrambling to listen to all of the albums I purchased earlier in the year but never gave the proper time to listen to and digest. An unfortunate victim of just such neglect is the Stars' release of In Our Bedroom After the War. The Stars' prior album Set Yourself On Fire was one of my favorite albums of 2005 but despite my love of that album I was inexplicably apathetic to give the Stars' newest release a listen. That being said I am glad I have finally given this album the attention it deserves. Stars have always achieved a charming quality through the interaction of the voices of Torquil Campbell and Amy Millan and this album continues this relationship without being 'rinse and repeat'. The duet of Campbell and Millan sing the gambit from feuding lovers to pop perfectionists and we are all the better for it in joining in for the ride. The album overall is very good but lacks that one true great song to put it in that next level. (7.5/10)

Stars - "The Night Starts Here"
Stars - "Window Bird"
Stars - "The Ghost of Genova Heights"

No comments: